The Augusta Bar Association is one of Georgia’s oldest local bars. It is a voluntary membership organization of attorneys and judges, currently with over 340 members. Members of the Augusta Bar Association are members of the State Bar of Georgia. Based in the city of Augusta, Association members live and practice within the Augusta Judicial Circuit, which is comprised of Richmond, Columbia and Burke Counties.
The Association, as originally constituted, was founded in 1895. On July 1, 1901, its members convened and reconstituted itself as the “Augusta Bar Association.” Article II of the Constitution adopted that day reads as follows: “The Association is established to maintain the honor and dignity of the profession of the law, to increase its usefulness, promote the due administration of justice, and to cultivate social intercourse among its members.”
The Augusta Bar Association’s mission has not changed in over 100 years. Today, the Association strives to provide information and programs to its members to enable them to continue to provide the highest level of competent and ethical representation to members of the public. The Association holds regular business meetings and hosts social events for its members. Guest speakers within and outside of the legal community are often invited to speak on topics of interest to lawyers and the community. Also, throughout the year, the Association is involved in many public service and community activities.